27 August 2011

My Plane-Ride Adventure

 

As you guys know, I’m pretty ADD.  Which does not bode well when it comes to going new places.  The whole way from our house to Baltimore, MD I was sped looking out the window at things (and helping my dad with directions).  Then when we got to the airport and parked, dad made us haul ass to get to the shuttle bus station, which was about to leave.

Our driver was such a funny black lady, saying things like “Yo betta sit down ‘less you wanna get hurt!’  And stuff like that…She was amusing.  And it was fun just riding in the bus…I was smiling and my dad was just looking at me like I was crazy.

And then we got to the airport and had to go through security…which was easy…but the lady who was telling us to go through the metal detector was impatient which wasn’t cool.  Oh well.

Then we had to wait.  We were there 3 hours early…and we sat in the terminal that whole time.

Me being ADD made that part really fun! I kept looking out the window and watched the planes take off and was like ‘omg that’s so cool!!!’ and then I randomly decided I wanted to be a pilot… until my dad told me you have to go to school for a longgggg time. And I don’t want to fly a plane that much.

I started taking pictures of things with a camera that my parents got me for my birthday…nothing too exciting.  But at the time I thought my pictures were awesome because I had never been in an airport terminal…well, I was when I was like 5, but I can’t remember that! 

Here are some pictures I had taken

DSCF0055DSCF0057DSCF0058DSCF0059Honestly this picture is pretty cool!DSCF0062

Yeah. At the time, I thought these pictures were the greatest thing ever and they’d end up in a magazine…

Now….I know that dream is NOT going to come true.  Except the sky picture is pretty shindiggy.

So after that my dad kept getting up to go get food or go potty or whatever…personally, I think he was just making excuses to leave me.  I was acting really goofy and totally like I had a mental issue, so I can’t say I didn’t blame him.

He came back one time with a puzzle book and a pencil…he paid $5 for a pencil that came with one extra piece of lead.  Haha he got ripped off.  It was fun.

Then the time came to board the plane.

My dad was put in group B…and I was put in group C.

Which means that my dad got to board before me.

And considering I had never been on a plane before…Uhm…I didn’t like the thought of boarding without him, and potentially not being able to sit near him.

So he left me and I had to wait another 5 minutes…and was freaking out the whole time…

And then it was my turn to board.

I got onto the plane and started looking in the seats frantically to try and find my dad…and as I was getting closer to the back…I was freaking out more, thinking that I was on the wrong plane or that I had missed my dad!

But then right before the last seat…I saw him. And relaxed a little.

And then…my friends…I tried to put the seatbelt on.

That was the worst experience of my life!  Oh my god it wouldn’t fit! I kept trying to connect the two parts and I was freaking out and my heart was beating faster and I kept worrying that the plane was gonna take off and I was going to die.  And even worse…it made me feel fat.

Yes, I know I’m a bigger girl to begin with…but instead of me feeling like I was a healthier chubby girl…I felt like I was 900 pounds.  And it was a horrible feeling.

It was like THIS versus THAT

Me actually..How the plane made me feel

It really frustrated me because the seatbelt was just a LITTLE too small.  Like…I could almost get it…but not quite.

So this little old Asian man was in the aisle beside me and saw me struggling…so he came over and helped me…I don’t know how someone who looked like he weighed only 100 pounds got this seatbelt to click…but somehow he did.  And my dad made sure it was clicked… so that was a little bit of relief. 

But then…I couldn’t feel my legs. It was so tight like…the circulation was being cut off!  Which wasn’t good…but I dealt with it.  For the rest of that leg of my journey I tried to forget all about the stupid seatbelt…but yeah.

So then the plane took off…and I got all ADD again.  I was looking out the window and being all like omg! a plane! I’m in a plane! the plane is taking off! and my dad was sitting beside me looking like he was going to die!  He didn’t, which is good, but still.

Then the plane was in the air…and I started to feel sick.  I think I started to feel sick after I was trying to get the seatbelt on.  Because like…too much blood was in my head…and then we took off…but I felt miserable the whole ride.  Like I kept feeling sick.  But it wasn’t all bad.  We got free food!  Well, first they went around asking what you wanted to drink…and since I was feeling sick I kept getting ginger ale.  And then they came around with this big tray of snacks and were like ‘take as many as you like!’ which I basically took to mean ‘if you take more than two things, I am going to judge you forever.’ 

But the snacks were cool!  I got some animal crackers that were shaped like airplanes.  And I was all excited.  I told my dad, “Dad! These are airplanes! I’m going to play with them!”  So I made one fly around in the air and kept saying vrooom vroom!!   ….suffice to say, my dad couldn’t stop laughing as he told me planes don’t go vroom. 

So I tried to zone out and listen to music to keep me from being sick.  Which worked some…

Then we descended into Denver airport…but we weren’t going to get off there.  I had to unbuckle though and I was freaking out about having to buckle again…and feeling sick again.  So I had my dad ask for a seatbelt extender and the attendant was like ‘wasn’t she on the plane already with a seatbelt on?’ and my dad had to tell her that I couldn’t breathe with it on…which made me feel bad, but oh well.  So I got an extender.  And me and my dad moved seats.  So I got a true window seat!  And then I felt sick even before we  got off the ground.  So I closed my eyes and tried to not throw up.

And then the plane started to leave again and I opened my eyes and watched it…

And when we were up in the air…it was…amazing to say the least.

It looked like we were floating on a sea made out of clouds…it was incredible…one of those experiences you really want to remember…

and then I got that weird taste in my mouth that told me I was going to puke…and I almost did!  But then I fell asleep for the rest of the time and then we landed and I didn’t get sick.  But I kept the bag just in case.

And the rest of the night I felt soooo sick.

Well, that was the short version of my plane-ride adventure.  Overall, it sucked.  If I hadn’t’ve felt sick, then it would’ve been fun.  But I felt sick.

Ugh, it’s my own fault for going to college so far away from home.

Anyways, if I never have to fly in a plane again, I’ll be happy…

…but I know I’m going to end up experiencing all that again; the good and the bad.

Lessons I learned for next time:

1) Ask for a seatbelt extender the second I get on the plane

2) Hope there’s more free food to make me feel better

3) Take lots of motion sickness meds before I go.

4) Try to take a train or drive instead.

No comments: